Silicon Corridor LUG (Berkshire & Thames Valley)
SCLUG meets every month at a pub in Reading, but we do run occasional non-pub events like install fests and general bring-a-box days.
Next bring-a-box day
We were going to do one on Saturday 16th September 2006, to coincide with the Software Freedom Day, but there wasn't much interest at the time, and the two people likely to do most of the organizing couldn't make it. Maybe we'll have one later in the year.
We'd also like to run some technical talks and practical sessions. We're looking for volunteers to do this, and below is a list of who has volunteered so far. If you have something you think you could talk about something Linux-related for, say, half an hour, then please make a note of it here and post some details to the mailing list. In the meantime, here are some suggestions from the mailing list:
<firstname.lastname@example.org> / Will Dickinson :
Windows -> Linux Java Porting
- Platform independent Java
Graham Swallow <email@example.com>
- scripting + extensions - suggestions for sanity
- C++ intro
- IPTables firewall intro
- SGML processing with SP, HTML generation using SPIN_py
- HP/UX, AIX, Solaris, non-linux system monitoring (for those who must)
AlanP & associates !! (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Nothing definite, but I feel with some arm twisting I can get :
TCL : Internals & advanced programming
- Video Encoding : Basics Overview (not necessarily Linux)
PXE Boot : Setup & Administration
Advanced OpenOffice (programming)
HSQL in OpenOffice2 and running HSQL on Linux as a stanalone server.
- Rapid application development: JBuilderX on Linux with a native DB back end
- Working remotely: Running VNC and using a VPN
- LDAP - capabilities and howto
- CVS - common usage guidelines
- GIMP flypast - after crop and save as ...
- XML direct to browser
- MySQL - replication, clusters, admin, using
- CMS - the easiest + best available, what-is and how
- SSL - how to use from C, what to call
- JAVA libraries - list of whats available
- Kernel-2.6 - whats happenned since 1.3
- Kernel-2.6 - whats tunable
- MPEG3 - which formats are good for what, how, TVR?
- APP/DEV/API - why we need it, what it is, how to use it,
- audio recording and sequencing
- embedded devices
- Open Source for small businesses
- security and intrusion detection
We did a Linux Day event in 2004; details and photos are on the SCLUGLinuxDay2004 page.
For more information about the LUG see our web site.